Pages

Monday, January 23, 2006

So I Really Want to Knit This Sweater

A gray and drizzly, depressing day. The radiators, surprisingly, are on and it's snug and warm and it makes me miss my boyfriend, terribly, who is out today.

Did anyone happen to see the cowl-neck sweater in the last issue of Knit.1? It's on pages 58 and 59. I love the way that it looks and the cowl and collar.

The pattern in the back of the magazine is terribly askew. Here's a page with the
corrections. I was a little surprised to learn that the sweater isn't in two, but three pieces! To wear the sweater, we are told to put on the sweater, then the collar, then the cowl. I guess this is okay because I don't know how comfortable I would be with all that collar around my neck and like the option of removing the collar. I was disappointed that there wasn't a photo showing the sweater without the collar and cowl. I have reservations about making the sweater because it's all made using knit stitch, except for the collar, which is ribbed. So I fear that I might get bored.

I found that Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted substitutes well for the Lion Brand Jiffy that the pattern calls for. Jiffy is supposed to look and feel like mohair, but I hardly understand how that's possible after I saw and felt it.

If anyone has any experience with this sweater I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions and see photos if available. I'm ordering a bunch of Lamb's Pride worsted in Aran soon.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

I like the idea of an MFA blog ring. I don't know anything about putting something like that together, but I could create a button and publicize it with my MFA knitting pals. Another option is knitters who write literary fiction/cnf or poetry. Might be an interesting mix.