Pages

Sunday, May 28, 2006

To think: this was going to be trashed!


Well, it certainly is difficult to take pictures of things under glass. The flash insists on obscuring the subject, but without the flash the pictures refuse to come out.

This is a bit of embroidery that my boyfriend's mother made about thirty or so years ago. Can you imagine that she was going to throw it out? I snatched it up just as it was going out on the curb along with some others. This is the biggest and the loveliest of all her embroidery. She didn't use a pattern or guide for this--she just made the flowers as it suited her. If you look closely enough, you can see little lady bugs and a busy bee. I tried to take close-ups, but that didn't work out very well, but here's one anyhow:


Well, the Lone Knitter is officially ABD (All But Dissertation) now. I'm still having nightmares about that language exam, however, and I don't think I'll ever ever ever forget what a subjunctive conditional with a past participle looks like ever ever ever. (I'm not even sure I know what that means!) I'll be screaming "would have had..." when I give birth. Not that I'm pregnant or anything, but I'm just imagining how this is going to traumatize me forever. Nevertheless, I'm so grateful to the Ph.D. gods for letting me give the exam another go. A special thanks goes out to my knitter blogging (or knitting blogger?--I can't think in any language now apparently) friends (you know who you are!) who offered so many best wishes and support.

I'm making good progress on the Lorna's Laces sock that I started a long time ago. I hope to have it finished in a few days because I'm itching to cast on something new. I'm seeing Jaywalkers in my future.

Oh, and I'm going on a long, long vacation at the end of June and won't be back until the end of July. I think I'm going to do a lot of knitting and reading then. I won't have an internet connection, so I'll have lots of pictures to post when I get back! (Secret Pal: I'll send you an email with the exact dates of my vacation.)

Happy Memorial Day! I'm thinking burgers for dinner...with some swiss and caramelized onions. Maybe.

4 comments:

K8 said...

Grad school is stressful - just hang in there! And enjoy your weekend!!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

CONGRATS!! Just out of curiosity, what language was the exam in?
I am also thinking about attempting Jaywalkers myself...Again, what a graet feeling to be ABD, WAY TO GO!

gail said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I know what you mean about a pair of socks having a lot of worries, anxieties, etc., knit into them. Since socks are my "purse knitting" they receive lots and lots of emotions and snapshots of my life.
I also am a grad student, returning to school after a 25 year career in a different field!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing embroidery!! To think something like that would have just been trashed!