Pages

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Look Ma! A Finished Object!



Well, these socks certainly have a lot knitted in them. These socks contain all my worries over orals and my language exam and other things. These socks contain about three months of sentiments. I finished them a few nights ago but didn't get to graft the toe of the second sock until a few minutes ago. Finishing these socks was very cathartic for me: in a sense, finishing them signifies that I'm really free from those worries that went into the sock. The sock is the physical manifestation of my letting go of those worries. I know this may sound crazy, but what I love so much about knitting is that all of your emotions, your joys and fears and worries, become physical objects that not only mark time but seem to give something back to you.

These socks were made using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Watercolor colorway on size 1 40" Addi turbos. I worked over 64 stitches, making a 2X2 rib for the cuff and switching to stockinette stitch. I wanted to post close ups of the gusset because I'm really proud of them. No hole! I wrapped and turned before and after the first heel flap row and picked up two extra stitches when working the gusset.

These pictures cannot show the depth of the beauty of this yarn. This yarn has so many pleasant surprises in it and it really does seem to shine and shimmer in a way that wool shouldn't. It's lovely, lovely.


I tried to take a picture of myself wearing these socks, but I go through a huge metaphysical struggle when I have to think about photographing myself modeling socks: should I shave my legs? should I wear nice pants? a skirt? funky pajamas? Well, I guess it's best to use my floor as a backdrop.

2 comments:

K8 said...

They're beautiful! I really love the colors!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

So these socks are like Guatemalan worry dolls for you, what a cool concept! They look great...