Pages

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Finally Crossing the Finish Line

I finally completed my KO project. The toe was grafted Thursday night. I'm disappointed that it took so long for me to finish these socks, but considering that I've had such a hellish past few weeks, I think I did pretty well. These socks were made using Online Supersocke in colorway number 765. I used a 1X1 rib for the cuff and a traditional heel flap. As far as bargains go, this yarn was cheaper than most sock yarns. One $8 ball will give you two socks and lots of leftover yarn; however, if you want to knit with something absolutely delightful, then I suggest using another yarn. After using Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock, I don't know if I can use anything else. While the Supersocke was fun to work with and I enjoyed seeing the colors and pattern develop, the yarn itself wasn't very springy and a bit rough to the touch.


I thought I was going to try my hand at toe-up socks, but the instructions led me to believe that I should use dpns at least through the toe. I didn't have size 1 dpns, so I thought I would just make another pair of simple, no-frills socks. I think I needed to. I think I really needed some mindless knitting after the last few weeks I've had. I know this sounds crazy, but I kind of miss using dpns. So I visited my LYS and asked for size 1 dpns and all they had were Clovers, which I don't enjoy very much because for some reason the size and brand are embossed so deeply into the bamboo that my yarn always drags over it and frays. I guess I could file it down with a nail file, but I was hoping to find some aluminum dpns, but I guess these upscale yarn stores in my part of the world don't carry them. I know if I file down the embossed sections of the Clovers that they get slicker with use, but I simply don't know if I have the patience. So I'll use the magic loop for now, but I'll probably be buying some size 1 dpns soon. The yarn store owner asked me what I was using and I said the magic loop and she said, well, you should stick with that--you need to increase your learning curve. What??? I have no idea what that meant.

No comments: