Pages

Monday, May 07, 2012

Baby Hats

When she was waiting for her first grandbaby to be born, my mother was bored in the Chicago winter, holed up in my apartment. So she could overcome her boredom, I taught her how to knit. She knit a scarf, a hat for herself, and a hat for my daughter. The baby hat she knit (Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, Ice Lake Heather) has the little pom-pom on top of it. She was so proud of herself--so proud that she could knit, could make a pom-pom, and could see her granddaughter wearing the hat she made.

Baby Hats

The little creme colored one (Knit Picks Bare worsted weight) was just about worn out. My daughter lived in that hat. No matter how much I washed and reshaped it, the yarn just never sprung back; it would no longer stay on. So I made another, the light pink one (Cascade 220--I forget the color--maybe Pink Rose?).

The red one (Cascade Pacific--again, I don't know the colorway) I made for fun simply because these hats are so quick to make.

The baby blue one (also Cascade 220, Caribbean), started yesterday, is for a friend who is due in June.

I know this is the first post I've had in a long time. Being a mom and full-time professor has made it difficult for me to even find the time to knit. I realized a few weeks ago, however, that I was unhappy because I was no longer doing what I loved to do so much. So I picked up my needles again and have since been happier.

Baby hats were made with the Umbilical Cord Hat pattern from Stitch 'n Bitch. My mom choose to forego the "umbilical cord" in favor of the pom-pom.

No comments: