Pages

Friday, September 21, 2007

Sunflower Socks

Sunflower Socks

Well, after what seems like months, I finally have another pair of socks done. These socks took forever. I made short-row heels; I must have forgotten that I don't like knitting short-row heels. Unlike heel flaps, which I can make in my sleep, I still need to look at line-by-line instructions for short-rows. So, when I can't zone out when knitting, it tends to take me longer to get anything knit.

I love these note cards that come in little magnetized boxes. The boxes are perfect for keeping a pair of socks in or for gifting socks. I guess I'll need to write a lot of notes if I want more of these boxes. They're also great for storing knitting notions, paper clips, and any little thing that doesn't seem to have a home.

The weather is shifting.

I felt it weeks ago when my allergies flared. They flare fiercely in autumn. Along with the sneezes comes a vague sense of feeling under water, a deadened alertness, and fuzzy memory.

Oh, yes, and sudden food cravings.

Things I have craved: sour pickles, hotdogs with relish, granny smith apples with an ever-so-slight glaze of candy-apple coating (just to feel the crisp crunch along with the stickiness), braised red meats, heaps of raw vegetables.

None of these cravings make sense to me; none of those foods, excepting the braised red meats, are foods that I eat regularly or have ever craved at all.

Sunflower Socks

My sunflowers socks were made using my Sunflowers, Texas, fields of colorway (these are 50% superwash merino and 50% tencel) over 60 stitches on size one dpns using a Sherman short-row heel.

I think my last post, bemoaning the slow slow wait for my Ravelry invite, must have made the Ravelry gods feel slightly sorry for me. In one week, my place in line has changed greatly:

  • You signed up on July 14, 2007
  • You are #16310 on the list.
  • 915 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 18118 people are behind you in line.
  • 44% of the list has been invited so far
At this rate, I'll get my invite in about three days. About.

5 comments:

Angela said...

I wonder if the boxes could be located online somewhere? (I just searched and found fabric boxes without the magnetic closure...)

Ravelry has changed my life. And that sounds really really goofy, but it's true. It's so much fun.

Your socks are lovely!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how this would work with knitted materials, but I use cigar boxes for just about everything. You can buy them from most cigar shops pretty cheap, they come in lots of sizes, and they are visually interesting (even the stickers that say "smoke these and die early" have a certain charm). :) Your socks are very lovely, too...

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Gorgeous socks, as usual...food cravings, huh? Maybe it's time for a trip to the pharmacy, Jen! I can't wait for you to get on Ravelry, you are going to basically die when you see how fantastic it is.

schrodinger said...

Glad you finished them, they look lovely - sorry about the short row issues, I'm a short-row lover myself.

So happy to hear that your ravelry invite is getting closer - you're going to love it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those sunflower socks are gorgeous! I love the little dots of brown! Good for you for finishing those short row heels! I'm almost exclusively a flap heel gal, but sometimes the short row heel just looks nicer.