Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Red Robin Socks Done; Lots of Yarn; More Squares and Blankets


I finished my Red Robin socks about a week and a half ago. A friend of mine emailed to say, "Hey, you haven't updated your knitting blog in a while. It's not like you. Is something wrong?"


It seems like it must be the time of the semester. Everything seems to need to get done all at once. It doesn't help that the weather has been so eerie and for so long now--nothing but dark clouds and the confusion of trees and birds. My living room ceiling had a putrid leak, I had deadlines, and I had a family affair that scared me. (It's okay--I'm just not ready to talk about it yet.) It's no wonder that I feel the way I do, slightly scattered and anxious.


Here are the specs for my Red Robin socks:

Yarn: Woolly Boully Red Robin: Bird, Nest, & Eggs
Needles: size 1 Crystal Palace dpns
Pattern: plain ole stockinette over 60 stitches, 2x2 2" cuff, heel flap, and decreased toe

I love, love, love these socks. I don't want to toot my own horn, but working with this yarn was dreamy, delightful. I could not put these socks down. All I wanted to do was knit and knit and knit these. I'm sorry that they knitted up so quickly.


Say, see this pile of Wisteria yarn? Woolly Boully got its first wholesale order. I just about flipped out. It was the same feeling I got when I had my first poem accepted for a journal, the same feeling I got when I heard my first book was getting published, the same feeling I got whenever something absolutely wonderful and unexpected happened. I have a lot more yarn to dye before I can ship this order on over to the Loopy Ewe. Oh, yes, the Loopy Ewe! And there is another wholesale order that I'll start on after that, but I'll give more details about this in another post.

I'm keeping whatever yarns are listed in my etsy shop at $21. Any new yarns will increase in price to $23, and I probably won't be able to do a shop update for about two months. So if you see something you like, now would be a great time to buy!


Jody, who was March's prize winner, made these three (!) baby blankets.

She also made these seven, bright, happy squares.

And my friend Joanna, who has just learned how to knit, made these squares.


Joanna kept apologizing for her knitting, yet she is knitting beautifully for just beginning. Her first project was a ribbed scarf. Great day! It took me forever to learn how to knit correctly and then another forever to learn how to purl and then another forever to do both with some ease. You're knitting looks wonderful, Joanna!

Since it looks as if I'm going to be busy dyeing up a storm, writing the ole dissertation, and finishing that 250+ page book I started two summers ago, I think I should make June 15 the deadline for getting in squares, afghans, and blankets for the drive. If you still want to participate, go here for details. Thanks so much to everyone for their support!

12 comments:

knittingphilistine said...

Congratulations, Jenny! Wow! You're in the big-league dyeing business now! Woot! As well you should be. And now I must go snatch up that last Autumn's Tremblings off Etsy... again, congrats!

JaneD said...

Congratulations again on your yarn deal. It makes me think of this Facts of Life episode when Jo et. al. sell pizzas made with her family recipe, and they're so good that they get too many orders. I'm sure you can keep up with your orders, and I can see from your post that your yarn is as beautiful as ever!

I have more squares for you since unlike writing my dissertation, squares are quick, uncomplicated, and fit in my bag next to all the research and drafts I lug around. And they're for charity, reminding me that there's a world beyond my dissertation. Thanks for running this contest!

pamela wynne said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! (& that pile of Wisteria is gorgeous.)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats on that yarn deal. Your yarns are gorgeous.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow I'm so glad that I was able to git while the gittin' was good!;)

Yes, I am also at a completely overwhelemed point in the semester as well...

Leslie said...

That's awesome! Congrats and hang in there on all the deadlines and stress. It'll be summer... eventually!

Michelle said...

Good luck with all your dyeing... is there going to be some more Red Robin in the future??? I missed it last time. I love how the bits of blue are scattered in your sock.

Unknown said...

That is so cool! (about the yarn, not the stress)

Tara G. said...

I love the colors and can't wait to order your yarns from The Loopy Ewe.

Lazuli said...

How cool about the yarns! I second michelle's regret about the lack of red robin - I love how those colors look together!

Shannan said...

Your socks are beautiful! I love the colors!

Chrissy said...

I love your socks. That colorway is great!