Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Slow & Steady


It's finally spring here in Brooklyn. I had some orange tulips I wanted to photograph for you, but alas, they curled up and died. It seems as if it just gets harder and harder to find hardy flowers at these Brooklyn "bodegas."

So, instead, I'll give you a sneak peak of what I've been up to. I got more dyeing supplies last week and can now do bigger batches. From left to right are Kelp Seahorse, Lotus Blooms, Wisteria, and Brooklyn Candy. I have more colorways to do before shipping this order off to the Loopy Ewe.

I finally found a simple way to twist my yarn into hanks. It took weeks of practice. I know it sounds silly and perhaps every knitter should just know how to twist a skein of yarn into a hank, but it took a lot of tries for me to be able to do it without blinking. And I'm very particular about my hanks; if a strand of yarn looks off, I can't stand it and will do it again. Now I can get my hanks to look pleasing to me on the first try.

Apparently the Loopy Ewe had so much traffic yesterday that the website kind of freaked out. Leave it to sock knitters and their yarn addiction to bring a site down.

After this order, I'll start a smaller order for The Yarn Grove. I want to maintain some business on etsy as I do like dealing with sock knitters and enjoy having the personal interaction with them, so hopefully I'll be able to do a shop update after these two wholesale orders.

Ever want something so badly?

I told myself to wait two weeks. If I still must have it in two weeks, then it's mine.


I'm working on these socks right now. The yarn is Opal Rainforest II in the Caterpillar colorway. I just love caterpillars and pupas and cocoons and butterflies and moths. I really do. So I couldn't resist this yarn.

I've also started a Woolly Boully Google group to send out notifications of yarn news and shop updates. You can sign up here.

Oh, and my prospectus will officially be turned in next week. That, my dear friends, was no small feat. I treated myself by buying a paper shredder. Strange, I know, but I really really wanted one.

p.s. Is it just me? Or are photographs uploaded to Blogger blurry? My photographs look great over at Flickr, but they look awful on my blog. Humpf.

11 comments:

pamela wynne said...

Woo hoo! Congratulations on turning in the prospectus!

Oh, and the skeins look *perfect* -- whatever you're doing, it's working. :)

knittingphilistine said...

Oh, why didn't I buy that kelp seahorse when I had a chance? YUM! And, having received both of my skeins from you, your base yarn is the nicest and softest I have yet to discover! I heart it. So nice. Good luck filling those orders between studying and writing...

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

So glad that your business is taking off--mazel tov.

I had to laugh with the juxtaposition of 'dissertation prospectus' and 'paper shredder'!!

Lone Knitter said...

Oh, my. I totally didn't draw the prospectus/paper shredder connection. Good lord. I must really want to get this Ph.D. out of my life.

Sarah said...

Haha! Paper shredder. I mean, I'm glad you're coping so well :)

That's some beautiful yarn, by the way.

Sarah said...

Oh! Oh and congrats on turning in the prospectus!

Sheri at The Loopy Ewe said...

Woohooo - the yarn looks beautiful! :-)

Unknown said...

hmm. I always thought maybe it was just me being hypercritical about my pictures... Maybe Blogger is making them blurry. I am so glad that your business is doing well. Knitting does pay! ;)

Gerard said...

so many socks, I love your opal colourway! I got into trouble toay at work using the shredder for personal shredding - apparently it's too noisy so should only be used for business shredding. I long to live in the knitting world full time.

Leslie said...

Hope you're having a great celebration for both your successes! Sounds like spring is bringing lots of excitement... if not lots of flowers.

Coley said...

I was tagged. So I tag you. http://pixiefarts.blogspot.com/2007/05/i-was-tagged-by-devon-this-is-how-it.html