Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A New Scarf for Manly

Orange Scarf

Manly doesn't always leave the house with a scarf; I think it's crazy. He had a really nice one once, but we haven't seen that one around. We haven't seen that one for about two years now. (I know--it's awful of me to let him go that long without a nice scarf.)

The cold in Chicago is insane; it's not your normal cold. So I refuse to let him leave without a scarf. He's been wearing the first one I made him ever: it's so ugly (to me) that I feel so badly for him when he wears it. It's my knitterly self looking at my first tries of garter-stitch (which I didn't do correctly, mind you) and feeling all embarrassed. He must love me enough to wear it.

He wanted orange. So orange it is.

This scarf was knit on size 10 needles over 32 stitches using Lamb's Pride bulky in the orange you glad colorway. I found the pattern in the first Stitch 'n Bitch book (page 58), and it calls for two skeins in the book. Don't believe it. You'll need three. Normally, I could get a scarf from two skeins of the bulky, but this stitch is so compact. Use fewer stitches and size 17 needles if you want to have more drape and use less yarn. I would prefer my scarf that way, but Manly likes a very dense knit.

4 comments:

PJ said...

The scarf is beautiful, love the color! I hope your handsome husband is wearing it when he ventures out in that Chicago weather. Loved having you with us for the holidays, looking forward to your next visit!! Keep up the knitting, it's wonderful to have you posting again!!
Yes, Erin's blanket is done!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I love this colorway and turn to it frequently. A total classic!

Anonymous said...

Love the color! The scarf looks amazingly cosy.

Anonymous said...

I love the color! The scarf is really beautiful!