Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2007

From the Depths of the Chevron

Chevron Scarf

Forgive me for having neglected this blog for longer than I'm known to, but you see, I've been working away at a little project that will haunt me if I don't finish it by this time next year. It's my dissertation, and I've been plugging away at it, two pages a day, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more; it is coming along.

Not much sock knitting these days. I'm excited, however, to start a Monkey Sock. Angela at Fluid Pudding just made a Monkey Sock using my Red Robin: Bird, Nest, & Eggs yarn, and it is beautiful. Look here and here.

I have been working away on my Chevron Scarf. By now this scarf is so famous that I don't think I need to say what book this pattern is in, but my dissertation mind, forever documenting, tells me that I must! Do I resist? I don't know. I really don't know.

I'm making this scarf with some awesome sock yarn from the Great Adirondack Yarn Company that was gifted to me this past Christmas by one of Manly's sisters. I'm using Soxie in Maple Leaf and Spring Garden. The color combination is just stunning, and I won't ever, ever get bored of seeing how the colors develop and play off of one another in this scarf.

Chevron Scarf

I wasn't always working on this scarf; in fact, I kind of loathed knitting it. Then I switched my 16" metal circulars for 9" bamboo straights. Oh, love. I'm in love with knitting again. I think I just need to realize that I'm a bamboo-needle kind of girl and stop trying to hang with the metal crowd. It's not working out.

I bought the needles on Friday, when two of my dear knitting friends (they comment here as JaneD and tigerlily) and I ventured into a yarn store after lunch. JaneD is going to start sock knitting. Oh, yes. Another one of those is on the brink of being born.

I do slip a few things into my etsy shop now and again. I also do special orders and reserves, so let me know if there's anything you're dying to get your hands on.

My first roving

Speaking of my etsy shop: I'll be selling rovings there soon. I think. I hope. I dyed my first roving up last night, and while it didn't quite turn out quite how I envisioned, I think it's lovely, and it didn't felt! I'm so excited to spin it up.

9 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love that Chevron! Knitting Philistine also has a Woully Boully sock up right now, check it out!

Good luck with the diss...

Unknown said...

That scarf is so pretty! I do know what you are talking about with the needles. If you aren't comfortable with the needles, you don't enjoy knitting. I love my metal needles and don't care for my bamboo needles.

Unknown said...

Oooh, such a pretty scarf. Really shows that putting two wildly different colorways together is the way to go on that one. I won't tell you how often I pick up my chevron scarf and squeeze the yarn cakes, hoping to feel like I'm actually making progress. I'm pretty sure I'll still be knitting my version at my retirement party. There's nothing "last minute" about this project!

Angela said...

Thanks for your kind words! The socks look great because the yarn is so beautiful! I look forward to getting more (and more!) as soon as possible!

knittingphilistine said...

Beautiful scarf!! Thanks for the comment on my blog, too... and can I tell you how much I love the sock I knit from your merino/nylon blend?? Love it. I am waiting patiently for you to dye up more of the merino/nylon... still have Autumn's Tremblings to knit, too!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Your Chevron is wonderful. A DIssertaion is long hard work, hope it's going well.

Leslie said...

Just an FYI, I finished my Kelp Sea Horse socks and posted them today. They turned out great, entirely due to the yarn, not the knitter!

Angela said...

Quick question: I received an e-mail today from someone who is very much in need of a pair of Red Robin Monkey socks. Are you planning on dyeing more of that particular colorway? (I see that Brooklyn Candy is still available at TYG, so I could point her in that direction!)

Woman who knits said...

That Chevron is GORGEOUS!!!!